Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation
The Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation (IRSNC) was founded in 1999 according to the Nature Conservation Act.
It consists of seven regional units and a coordinating central unit. Together with regional units IRSNC covers the entire territory of Slovenia.
IRSNC is a professional public organisation responsible for nature conservation with its main tasks/activities:
- Collection of data on plant and animal species, their habitats and ecosystems, registration and evaluation of separate nature's components;
- Management of databases concerning natural values and biodiversity components and monitoring of the state of nature preservation, biodiversity and the state of natural values;
- Preparation of nature-conservancy guidelines and cooperation in the preparation of plans for the protected areas management;
- Cooperation in the preparation of nature-conservancy education program, and care for public awareness building as to the significance of nature conservation.
Other LIFE projects of the Institute:
- Natura 2000 v Sloveniji – upravljavski modeli in informacijski sistem / Natura 2000 in Slovenia – management models and information system
- Ohranjanje in upravljanje sladkovodnih mokrišč v Sloveniji / Conservation and Management of Freshwater Wetlands in Slovenia – WETMAN
- Varstvo biodiverzitete reke Mure v Sloveniji / Conservation of the biodiversity of the Mura river in Slovenia - BIOMURA
- Obnova rečnega ekosistema nižinskega dela Drave v Sloveniji / Riparian Ecosystem Restoration of the Lower Drava River in Slovenia - LIVEDRAVA