LIFE integrated project for enhanced management of Natura 2000 in Slovenia (LIFE17 IPE/SI/000011 LIFE-IP NATURA.SI)
Slovenia is among EU countries with the highest biodiversity, with 38% of the territory in Natura 2000 network, which is highly demanding for management and monitoring. The aim of IP NATURA.SI is to enhance implementation of national Natura 2000 Management Programme by connecting key stakeholders and available approaches in nature conservation, improving and connecting results, knowledge and best practices gained in IP, traditional LIFE, complementary and other projects. Enable an enhanced uptake of these results in national, systemic level to establish a long-term result orientated and inclusive management of Natura 2000 in Slovenia.
The main objective of the project is to enhance the implementation of the Natura 2000 Management Programme for Slovenia (2014-2020). It aims to improve the conservation status of targeted habitat types and species by establishing a long-term and inclusive management approach. This will enhance cooperation and communication between policymakers, landowners, research institutions and NGOs, thus turning stakeholders into more effective partners.
Specific project objectives are to:
- improve conservation status of selected habitats and species by implementing measures listed in the Natura 2000 Management Programme for Slovenia;
- enhance management of Natura 2000 sites by increasing the capacity of key nature conservation organisations in Slovenia;
- improve knowledge on habitat types and species in Natura 2000 sites, for example, by establishing a long-term and sustainable national monitoring scheme;
- raise awareness and knowledge of Natura 2000 sites, and their habitat types and species.
- implementation of at least five priority projects listed in the Natura 2000 Management Programme for Slovenia (2014-2020), with concrete conservation actions taken to improve conservation status and reverse downward trends for habitat types and species in grassland, forest and wetland ecosystems;
- Natura 2000 management programme renewed and adopted;
- significantly raised capacity and management skills of key nature conservation actors in Slovenia, including the training of at least 300 employees of project partners, 300 public servants (e.g. agriculture, forestry), and 200 members of Slovenian NGOs;
- establishment of a Warden Service covering at least half of Slovenia’s territory, and the establishment of an inter-sectoral cooperation network with working groups to advise at least 600 landowners, farmers and foresters;
- improved knowledge on habitat types and species (distribution, conservation status and threats) through the development of better monitoring protocols;
- improved communication skills and raised awareness, with at least 100 000 people (including 25 % of inhabitants in Natura 2000 sites) reached through communication activities.
- In addition to the IP budget itself, the project will facilitate the coordinated use of approx. 58 million of complementary funding from ERDF, EARDF and the National Forest Fund.
Coordinating beneficiary: Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning
Ministry for Agriculture Forestry and Food
Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation
Fisheries Research Institute of Slovenia
Slovenia Forest Service
Slovenian Forestry Institute
Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of Slovenia
Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of Slovenia - Agriculture and Forestry Institute Ptuj
Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of Slovenia - Agriculture and Forestry Institute Ljubljana
Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of Slovenia– Agriculture and Forestry Institute Nova Gorica
Slovenian Water Agency
Štirna - Zavod za trajnostne rešitve
National Institute of Biology
University of Ljubljana
Centre for Cartography of Fauna and Flora
Project reference: LIFE17 IPE/SI/000011
Duration Sept 5, 2018 to Dec 31, 2026
Total budget: 17.007.204,00 €
EU contribution: 10.200.000,00 €